i'm definitely starting to think that the album art for these songs will make an image of some sort... particularly the red lines. if there are any more songs released, we should try putting the images together or something. Tocz 21:16, 2 May 2008 (PDT)
Most likely a connection of them will occur and they will fly around, this is reminiscent to the [with_teeth] art style, particularly for the pdf. Also the red line kinda bounces around the inside of the walls, like the lyrics. The red line representing Trent or his voice? Could this be an addition to the YearZero story and this album be about Trent's role in it? Velvolver 20:53, 3 May 2008 (PDT)
- I had a similar theory. Maybe this album is a sequel to the Year Zero story that chronicles the story of [Classified] in prison.Armac 08:45, 4 May 2008 (PDT)
- I agree, It almost seems like this song is about Trent being in prison (as Exhibit 24 eludes to). This may also lead into 'Head Down' where it's almost like he's being tortured or questioned. Aeontriad
I imagine that once we get the full set of images, they'll spell out something - album title probably, but you never know. Sheepdean 20:56, 3 May 2008 (PDT)
- that's what i was thinking. also, does anyone know where i can get a copy of this song? Tocz 08:27, 4 May 2008 (PDT)
- Yeah, Tocz. Download it. Aeontriad
Connection to With Teeth/Year Zero: I am starting to think that 'The Slip' Is a giant net that has collected both albums concepts and dragged them together..
Just look at the lyrics to Echoplex and The Collector:
"They tend to accumulate
I have this net It drags behind me And it picks up feelings For me to feed upon"
"I built this place with broken parts
Just like they said"
"Are you listening?
Yes I am building Something bigger than the world Something terrible With all of this"
Pinecone 20:19, 7 January 2009 (PST)
I was unaware this song was even available prior to The Slip being made available. It was not mentioned either on the "NIN Official News & Photo Updates" feed or on the NIN MySpace blog. Some sort of experiment by Trent? Very curious... RobertM525 20:44, 5 May 2008 (PDT)
The release was very interesting, Tent knew that we'd all hear about it on the NINternet, but he never actually told us the 2nd single was out. I wouldn't have been surprised if the new album had actually just turned up on our doorsteps or randomly emailed to us, he's gotten so generous of late. Sheepdean 23:55, 5 May 2008 (PDT)
Has anyone thought about the synthetic drums being a musical representation of the "walls" mentioned throughout the song? Everything else sort of echoes off them, even the alternate drum pattern.The Kiw 21:25, 3 November, 2010 (GMT)
- what do you mean by "echoing off" the drum patches? there's never any delay effects on them (or even reverb), so there literally isn't any echo. if you mean that they remain the base throughout the song and everything else comes and goes, that's true... except for the ending, where the drum loops stop before anything else. - seasonsinthesky 14:47, 3 November 2010 (PDT)
- Yeah, that's what I meant by "echoing off" - that everything else comes and goes. Haven't really realized the thing with the ending, good point.The Kiw