Talk:Mr. Self Destruct
Mr(.) Self Destruct
Looking at the TDS-releases on discogs ( http://www.discogs.com/Nine-Inch-Nails-The-Downward-Spiral-Deluxe-Edition/master/3719 ) I'm guessing that this song is only called "Mr. Self Destruct" on the US-releases whereas on the European ones the dot is left out. I just was wondering because last.fm always reproaches me of wrong tagging but my copies both tell me it's called "Mr Self Destruct" ( http://www.discogs.com/Nine-Inch-Nails-The-Downward-Spiral-Deluxe-Edition/release/865067 and http://www.discogs.com/Nine-Inch-Nails-The-Downward-Spiral/release/173264 ) I think there are more copies that feature the writing "Mr Self Destruct" so maybe we should adopt it ... --RickLip
- As far as I can tell, only the 2004 reissues omit the period. As the "Mr" redirects here, I don't really think it's needed - seems more a typographical choice on the part of Reznor or Sheridan than a difference in how it's written.
- And for comparison - nincatalog. Far more reliable than discogs for nin halo information =) sheepdean Try to speak as clearly as you can 07:01, 24 May 2010 (PDT)
"Be part of me?"
In the very end of this song during the chaotic guitar part, the words "Be part of me" or something similar can be heard repeating twice, heavily distorted. Then after a short break, "part of me, be part of me, be part of." Does anyone have anymore information? What are the words? What distorts them? Or what makes the words (they don't sound natural)? Why weren't they listed in the lyrics? --Piroteknix 19:31, 25 March 2009 (PDT)
- ... huh? - Seasonsinthesky 21:33, 8 May 2009 (PDT)
- Haha. Check here. At 3:22 the wailing on guitar starts. At 3:32, it sounds like a distorted voice says "be part of me, be part of me." Then at 3:44, it sounds like the voice says "[be] part of me, be part of me, be part of--" I was just wondering if it was anything significant. I've never seen it mentioned anywhere, but I always hear/notice it. Maybe I'm just hearing things :) --Piroteknix 20:15, 21 May 2009 (PDT)
- i think the sounds you're talking about are further Adrian Belew guitar manipulations. they don't sound like words to me whatsoever! i don't hear any consonant enunciation, breathing, or intonation that normally accompanies a human voice (and even microsoft sam!). - Seasonsinthesky 19:20, 31 May 2009 (PDT)
Mr. Self Destruct by Soft Cell
So I discovered the album This Last Night in Sodom by Soft Cell from 1984 recently and the first song is called Mr. Self Destruct. I know Reznor likes them because NIN did a cover of their song Sex Dwarf, so I'm just wondering if this song by Soft Cell is the inspiration for the title of the song on The Downward Spiral. What do you think? Tony W. 14:25, 14 March 2010 (PDT)
- He's a very big fan of them, and due to the unusual nature of the title, I would say that he -almost- certainly used the title as inspiration, but he's never actually stated that. I guess we could put it in the song info as "possibly named after ..." or something like that. Anyone else have input?
- Oh, and you should sign your posts with four tildes (~~~~), so we know who is commenting =) sheepdean Try to speak as clearly as you can 06:42, 14 March 2010 (PDT)