This community member receives the Newsletter. Do you?
- 1 Rare NIN songs category.
- 2 Contributions
- 3 New Torrents
- 4 Contact to management
- 5 Duets
- 6 duplicate links
- 7 West Indian Girl
- 8 Remixes
- 9 Songs vs. Halos
- 10 Delete/Report Button
- 11 List of common musical themes
- 12 List of films that use NIN songs
- 13 Adding BPMs to song pages
- 14 Full state names on Tour pages
- 15 Tour dates succession box
- 16 Bot
- 17 Spammer
- 18 Remixes category/ies
- 19 2017 tour on main page?
Rare NIN songs category.
Anyone have a comment on the list? I'd rather not add the links and make the category if there's a general concensus against it, precious bandwidth and all. Sheepdean 11:51, 11 July 2008 (PDT)
Cheers, it's no problem, I'd like to see this site be as definitive as possible, as I'm sure you would to =). And I had an idea which I keep forgetting to post - when someone links to a disambiguation page, would it be possible to send up a little dialogue/warning box before it is posted? A lot of the edits that I do are fixing those links, would make it easier and would teach people how to link to pages with alt. text. For example:
You've posted a link to a disambiguation page - did you mean to link to a song or album? Try [[song title (song)|song title]] or [[album title (halo)|album title]]
You've posted a link to a disambiguation page - did you mean to link to a song or album? Click [[link to as-yet non existent help page|here]].
Any thoughts?sheepdean 12:20, 6 December 2008 (PST)
- That's a great idea, but it would take a PHP whiz, and while I'm pretty good with it, I'm no magician. --Tonyconverse! 21:20, 6 December 2008 (PST)
Can we post links to the torrents on the wiki, as they are official, uploaded by TR himself, or are there no exceptions to the rule? sheepdeanis in your base killing your d00ds 13:45, 7 January 2009 (PST)
Contact to management
Hello Sheepdean, I am searching for the management of NIN, because a musician I know wrote a song over the beats of At The Heart Of It All.
Who I have to contact to get knowlegde about the rights of this song?
Yours Juliana da Costa José 09:07, 17 May 2009 (PDT)
Best thing to do would be to find a way to incorporate it into a respective Tour Date page. We can easily do the ones that have happened since the Wiki went live but the challenge is in all the older dates. --leo3375 16:29, 18 May 2009 (PDT)
Hi there, I noticed you have done some editing to remove duplicate links from articles. I've started a discussion about that at Talk:2009/05/09 Tampa, FL and I'm inviting you to join in. -- Jdowland 08:23, 21 May 2009 (PDT)
West Indian Girl
Someone had made a page for Q a couple weeks ago but I deleted it because it was completely irrelevant to NIN. If someone does make a page for West Indian Girl right now, it would most likely be a dead end. However, changing the last sentence of Trent's bio to "… with his fiancée and two Greyhounds" and linking a West Indian Girl page in there would lead to it, but the only way out would be through the category section.
Wow. You made me think on this one.--leo3375 22:01, 30 May 2009 (PDT)
Right now, it's best to keep the remixes with their respective songs. However, I don't have a problem with making a list page for the remixes. I also don't have a problem with making a category called "Category:NIN Remixes."--leo3375 09:20, 2 June 2009 (PDT)
Yeah, go ahead and make a remix glossary. Just be sure that there are links out of the page and find a way to make links into it.--leo3375 11:10, 2 June 2009 (PDT)
Songs vs. Halos
dear sheepy, i wanted to ask your opinion of this before i post it at Leo. i think several of the songs that have both a (song) and a (halo) page ought to be combined. i'm not referring to any of the numbered halos, but rather the promo stuff, like Wish and Into The Void. i really don't see a reason why we should have a specific page for Wish (halo) when it's only got two songs, no cover art, and can only be bought on eBay for extortionate (is that a word?) prices. it's also misleading to call it a halo, though i'm sure everyone here realized this when the decision was made to call all the releases halos. can't we simply compile all the promo releases and either make a page listing all the promos and their info (i'm fine taking the collecting job) or simply leaving the mentions of the promos and their catalog numbers under the specific songs (i.e. by including the Wish promo and catalog number in the appearance list on its song page and mentioning it in the write-up for the No Bad Words mix)? let me know what you think about this admittedly massive job i'm suggesting. i really think it would help keep the place streamlined. - Seasonsinthesky 09:51, 9 June 2009 (PDT)
I would suggest it to Tony. Manwhile, you can delete the content of the spammers' entry and mark it as spam.--leo3375 10:19, 28 June 2009 (PDT)
List of common musical themes
do you think it'd be a stupid idea to create a new page with a list of common themes? i.e. "Song X and Song Y share a common melody." it could also be a Category, though it'd be much less specific that way. - Seasonsinthesky 09:06, 4 July 2009 (PDT)
List of films that use NIN songs
since my last list idea kinda fell through, here's another: a list of the films whose scores and soundtracks feature NIN. somebody posted a nice list of them on nin.com, so i could just drop it in and link around. the list could be linked in using some kind of methodology similar to how on Wikipedia you can do (see 2009 in music) next to a year of release to access the category, so each song that is featured on a soundtrack can have a link like "(see list of NIN soundtrack contributions)" next to the Appearances listings - or a better idea if you've got one in that fantastic brain of yours ;) - Seasonsinthesky 06:30, 16 August 2009 (PDT)
Adding BPMs to song pages
here's my next ambitious idea: to include the BPM rate of every song (studio released, anyway) on its page (and subsequently any differing BPMs for remixes, etc.) and to make the BPM rate a link to the List of BPM Rates page. y/y? help me out on it? - seasonsinthesky 14:25, 9 February 2010 (PST)
Full state names on Tour pages
I'm actually all for it because some of the visitors who aren't in the US and/or Canada might not know what MA or SC means. Hell, when I create Tour Date pages for US/Canadian dates I write out the entire state/province name in the first sentence. But that's just me.--leo3375 15:48, 20 March 2010 (PDT)
Tour dates succession box
How would you go about doing this? I'm willing to help, if you need? Knotrice 04:54, 1 June 2010 (PDT)
- The coding itself is fairly easy, the issue would be designing it (it can't be bulky, but has to give enough detail - I was thinking previous date, next date, link to tour page and link to previous and next tour dates if possible), putting it into EVERY tour page (there are a lot) and sorting through the fact we're missing many of the early shows. If you're any good with coding, try and design one (use your user page for now so it doesn't get in the way), or I'll stop being lazy and do a draft one sheepdean Try to speak as clearly as you can 05:02, 1 June 2010 (PDT)
How difficult would it be to get a bot to place the tour dates in? I'm fine with doing them myself, but the internet filter keeps coming into place because of the title of the tour I am editing (I won't say the name, because then I won't be able to see this page), and I'm worried I might slip up. EDIT: It might just be better if someone goes through and makes sure I haven't stuffed up somewhere. Knotrice 06:27, 1 June 2010 (PDT)
- Bots aren't really my territory, never coded one for a wiki before. I will have time next week to do these, been fairly busy irl of late, so leave it for now and I can finish up if you need - and I am keeping an eye on all edits, don't worry sheepdean Try to speak as clearly as you can 06:37, 1 June 2010 (PDT)
just saw your post on the "At The Heart Of It All" talk page — should we make a category for Aphex Twin contributions or something? how about a category for each era (PHM, Broken, TDS, post-TDS, TF, WT, YZ, and so on)? at least that way it would be included with other songs but not lumped in with songs actually made by NIN. - seasonsinthesky 11:59, 27 January 2011 (PST)
2017 tour on main page?
Hey, can we please link the current 2017 tour on the main page in its respective spot? I also mentioned to piggy that it looks like the thumbnail for Patriots Day didn't resize properly or something and doesn't look quite clear on the main page, if we can also repair that? Cheers. Ryan (talk) 06:44, 22 July 2017 (PDT)
- The patriots day one I tried with but jpeg artifacting with an image that size full of lines? Just ugh. Tempted to try the vinyl version. And we gonna do I Can't Seem To Wake Up 2017 or the not yet made NIN 2017?
- I'm still kinda bannned, so could you please quote this post: http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/4560-branches-bones-extended-lyrics?p=365808#post365808 and ask if there are any others they've noticed? I added in the unsung lines to the Branches/Bones page, but the poster said that "these stood out in particular," making me think there are others. In addition, could you also ask slavetothewage what the line (or lines) in "The Lovers" is that's sung but NOT printed? Trying to make these pages as comprehensive as possible. Ta!