Jane's Addiction is an American alternative rock band formed in Los Angeles, California, in 1985. The band is currently composed of core members Perry Farrell (vocals), Dave Navarro (guitar), and Stephen Perkins (drums). For the majority of the band's career, its bassist has been Eric Avery. After breaking up for the first time in 1991, Jane's Addiction briefly reunited in 1997 and again in 2001; both times, Avery declined to participate, and the band has used several bassists in his place.
In 2009, the band's "classic" lineup, featuring Avery, reunited to co-headline with NIN for the NIN/JA portion of the Wave Goodbye Tour. That same year, Trent Reznor produced new recordings of two early Jane's Addiction songs ("Whores" and "Chip Away") for the NINJA 2009 Summer Tour EP. Two new songs ("Embrace The Darkness" and "I'll Protect You") were also recorded but never released. Eric Avery was recruited to play bass on NIN's 2013-2014 tour, but left the lineup before the tour started.
- Perry Farrell: Vocals (1985–present)
- Dave Navarro: Guitar (1985–present)
- Stephen Perkins: Drums (1985–present)
- Chris Chaney: Bass (2002–2004, 2011–present)
- Eric Avery: Bass (1985–1991, 2008–2010)
- Flea: Bass (1997)
- Martyn LeNoble: Bass (2001–2002)
- Duff McKagan: Bass (2010)
Body of Work
- Nothing's Shocking (1988)
- Ritual de lo Habitual (1990)
- Strays (2003)
- The Great Escape Artist (2011)
- NINJA 2009 Summer Tour EP (2009)
- Jane's Addiction (1987)
- Live In NYC (2013)
- Ritual de lo Habitual - Alive at Twenty-Five (2017)
- Live And Rare (1991)
- Kettle Whistle (1997)
- Up From The Catacombs: The Best of Jane's Addiction (2006)
- A Cabinet Of Curiosities (2009)
- Sterling Spoon (2016)
- The band was dubbed Jane's Addiction in honor of Farrell's housemate, Jane Bainter, who was addicted to drugs.
- The song "Had A Dad", from the band's 1988 album Nothing's Shocking, is sampled in "Ringfinger".
- The NIN song "I Would For You" may or may not be a nod to the Jane's Addiction song of the same name.
- The NIN song "I Do Not Want This" features Stephen Perkins on drums.
- The NIN song "Burning Bright (Field On Fire)" and a remix of "Piggy" feature Dave Navarro on guitar.