2007/09/01 Konstanz, Germany
One of the problems that we seem to continuously encounter across Europe is the incredible incompetence and / or
greed on the part of the promoters over here. I bring (and pay for) a substantial amount of production (sound and lights) to make the show something incredible for you to witness. Time after time these motherfuckers promise certain specific things that are required in terms of the size of the stage or the power necessary to use the stuff and guess what? You got it. We show up and there's a lot of finger pointing and excuse making. This happened tonight
at the truly awful Rock AM See Fuck Fest in Konstanz Germany.
- After this blog entry was posted, numerous stories began popping up about what exactly had happened and who should take the blame. Nine Inch Nails argues that months in advance the promoter promised in writing that they would be able to meet the power demands spelled out in the band's technical rider. The day of the concert there were reports of a blackout in the town of Konstanz, which may have forced the concert organizers to cut back on elecricity. Whether or not the required power was there from the get-go and later reduced, or that there wasn't enough power to begin with is still being debated and hasn't been cleared up. The band was informed shortly before they were to take the stage that there wasn't enough power for their light show. They were ready to just leave but Reznor didn't want to disappoint the people who had been waiting to see the band perform. He ultimately agreed to perform but asked for a fee of US$50 000 to cover the costs of bringing the equipment and taking it down, and as a restitution. The promoter stated that they couldn't pay that much and the parties settled on US$30 000 instead. After the performance was over, the promoter allegedly refused to pay the fine, citing that Reznor had "threatened to kill him." (Reznor had stated onstage during "March Of The Pigs" that "Actually, killing the promoter would make me feel better right now.") The promoter has argued that they had enough power all along and it wasn't until the last minute that he realized there would be a problem. He feels that the band's management and light technicians should have known this and worked around it, or that they should have spelled out more specifically exactly what their power needs would be. The issue is still being debated and may end up going to the courts.
- "Hurt" was aborted about 20 seconds into the song after someone shouted for Reznor to play "Head Like A Hole." Reznor threw his keyboard down and the band promptly began playing "The Hand That Feeds." Reznor didn't sing any of the lyrics until the first chorus, clearly expressing his compounded anger and frustration with the entire experience at this concert.
- Stage Time: 21.45 - 23:05
- Alessandro Cortini: Keyboards, programming, guitar, backing vocals
- Josh Freese: Drums
- Aaron North: Guitar, backing vocals
- Trent Reznor: Vocals, guitar, keyboards, tambourine
- Jeordie White: Bass, guitar, keyboards, backing vocals
- "The Beginning Of The End"
- "Terrible Lie"
- "March Of The Pigs"
- "Gave Up"
- "Help Me I Am In Hell"
- "The Good Soldier"
- "No, You Don't"
- "Dead Souls"
- "Hurt" (Aborted after 20 seconds)
- "The Hand That Feeds"
- "Head Like A Hole"